Sunday, February 26, 2006

UFC 58 USA vs Canada

Far from being a 'who's better' type of scenario the adversarial nature of this pay-per-view just adds a little flavor to what looks like a pretty nice lineup. My predictions follow.

Franklin/Loiseau
Ace is just too well rounded, too smart and in too good of shape to lose unless Loiseau pulls one of his kicks and knocks the champ out. Personally though I don't see it happening. Kicking a guy with some of, if not the, best footwork in MMA is going to difficult.

GSP/Penn
This is a tough one. GSP is tough everywhere but Penn is one of the best on the ground in MMA. GSP should have plenty of motivation because if he loses this one he'll have a loss to Hughes and Penn which would put him behind the eightball in terms of being a contender. He'll need to punish Penn with his striking and keep it there as long as possible. Both have won over some tough competition but Penn has more big names. Still I am going GSP but damn it's hard.


Marquardt/Doerksen
A fight between two veteran guys so this ought to be a good one and can go either way. If I were a betting man my money would be on Marquardt. I think he'll be the next big contender for the middleweight belt.

Swick/Vigneault
I am looking foward to seeing the quick one in action again. I'd like to see his ground game but these are two strikers so I won't hold my breath. Swick has a deadly combination of fast hands (think Belfort) and KO power. I'm picking Swick but to be honest I know nothing about his competitor.

Edwards/Hominick
Return of the lightweights. I have never seen either so I cannot pick one, sorry guys.

Florian/Stout
Florian has a better all around game so I have to chose him but Stout can end it quick so the American will have to watch out.

MacDonald/Lambert
As much as I hated listening to MacDonald cry when he was on TUF he did look pretty decent. Good quickness. I'm taking him but somewhat reluctantly.

Murphy/Midoux
Midoux!

Sanchez/Alessio
Diego by GnP.

No comments: