Monday, January 02, 2006

Ultimate Fight Night- Live (1/16/2006)

The lineup for this event has been announced so I thought I would chime in with my own thoughts and predictions. I'm just happy to have more UFC to talk about and I can't wait to see the fights. That big 3 hour New Year's show on Spike only got me hungry for more.

Tim Sylvia vs. Assuerio Silva
I haven't seen any Silva fights but from what I have gathered he's a BJJ guy but with good striking. He's listed at 5'9 or 5'11 depending on the source so either way he's going to have to contend with Tim's reach advantage. Sylvia might actually be punching at a downward angle for Silva. The flip side is the size advantage should help Silva should he attempt the takedown. Even without the curse that seems to follow Pride guys coming into UFC I have to take Sylvia. He'll have knuckles and knees waiting for takedown attempts and will pick the shorter guy apart on the stand up.

Bonnar vs. Irvin
This could be interesting as Irvin's strengths...his power and athleticism...are two weakness of Bonnar's. I would say just about everything else goes Bonnar. Except possibly aggression and conditioning and they could be the key. Better technique, both standing and on the mat, and toughness would seem to be in Bonnar's favor. I take Bonnar.

Guillard vs. Torres
Guillard wins despite the size disadvantage. I think he is strong enough to give Torres a hard time on the ground and can end the fight quick with a punch.

Fisher vs. Riley
Fisher's coming out party.

Burkman vs. Fickett
Fickett has more experience but Burkman I think has showed more ability. The bald guy is strong, tough and aggressive. Fickett has skills but might be in for a shock in this. Granted Burkman is largely unknown but Fickett is known and has only that half-lucky win over Koscheck.

Leben vs. Rivera
I don't know Rivera from nobody but I am taking Leben. He's ferocious, trains with tough guys and seems to be expanding his skillset.

Karalexis vs. Von Flue
Tough one. I'm taking Karalexis but Von Flue seems to have an ability to find ways to get by. That awkward punching of his could do some damage given the reach advantage but I think Karalexis wins with a ground and pound.

Goulet vs. Ludwig
What is that crap on Goulet's head in his UFC pic? No, seriously. WTF is that? There's a link over here somewhere just search for his name under fighters. --------------->

No comments: