Tuesday, October 10, 2006

The Final Chapter.

Tito finally put to bed this rivalry and the two managed to even come out of it looking classy and respectful. Well, assuming Shammy has enough sense to retire anyway. If anything I was surprised it took Tito so long to finish it. Hell, Shammy looked pretty good for a while.

The rest of the night seemed to be a showcase for Team Punishment. Matt Hamill beat a game Seth Petruzzelli. Classing ground n pound with a smidgeon of lay n pray. Seth really needs to work on his boxing and sprawl and was a little too quick to slip to guard rather than fight for dominant position. Yeah Hamill is a world class wrestler but you still have to try. The Silverback's takedown defense looked pretty good so I really think he could have had a chance to get Matt on his back at least once and I think the wrestler might just fold as a lot do in that spot.

Kendall Grove is the perfect protege` for Tito. A solid framework of heart and work ethic that the former champ can pour his knowledge and skills into. With him and Hamill, Team Punishment looks pretty damn solid. Kendall didn't look overpowering in any area other than relentlessness but at his age and with the tools he has he could be very dangerous in five years.

Jason McDonald had the upset of the night when he soundly beat a talented fighter in Ed 'Short Fuse' Herman. Not only that but out grappled a strong grappler. And a guy from Quest at that! This was the fight of the night, beating Hamill/Petruzzelli by a good margin. Each fighter showed that he could overcome adversity and reverse his opponent. On more than one occasion then getting reversed himself!

Having never seen the Canadian I half groaned when they said he was a submission fighter. Maybe Shammy fighting later that night had me thinking of his Lion's Den 'submission fighters'. Wow was that the wrong reaction. McDonald's jiu-jitsu was phenomenal. Honestly, Minotoro came to mind and that his high praise. When he came out of that roll with a triangle choke I swear I thought I felt urine trickling down my leg. (I just spilled my water thanks for the concern though.)

No comments: