Tuesday, October 11, 2005

The Ultimate Fighter 2 episode 8

What a great fight that was last night. Luke Cummo the quiet, nerdy guy who everyone makes fun of faced off against Anthony who I had forgotten was part of the show since he's never on screen. The classic striker versus grappler matchup. Nevermind that Luke looks like cro-magnon man (and my buddy Nick, sorry bro) he is a scrawny lil fella. Anthony is a strapping wrestler type. This being the modern age of mixed martial arts the two have some skill and training in the other form of combat but have their specialties. I do kind of miss the days when it was two guys who had their specialty and little else but the modern day warrior is more rounded and that makes for an interesting chess match.

I admit to having a likeness for Luke as he is into Eastern philosophy and such and I too was once a quit bookworm. Not so much anymore I am afraid. Anyway, Luke dominated the fight both on the mat and on their feet. I was a little disappointed in Anthony's performance. I mean it was obvious that he had no gas left at the end, as it should be, but I think he got too tired too quickly. He should have been throwing the scrawny NYer around from the start. He should have shot and taken him down and pounded on him. To his credit though Luke knew enough grappling to stay out of trouble and he was obviously the aggressor throughout. I want to see more of his standup skills. Of the rest of the welterweights left I think he can hold his own against all of them with the possible exception of Joe. Granted I haven't seen Sammy fight yet. Joe is probably too strong for anyone in the welterweight class. He's strong, motivated and a really good grappler. Oh and he's got a lot of experience. Poor guy is ugly too. I read somewhere that you should never fight anyone ugly since they have nothing to lose.

No comments: